BARNHARDT BAPTIST CHURCH
It started in the year 1897 when a small group of God-fearing Baptists, led by Rev. J. A. Barnhardt, realized the needs of the citizens of Stewartsville. In March 1897, a Sunday School was organized in the little two-room school house in Stewartsville.
During the first forty-four years, Barnhardt pastors were circuit preachers, having preaching services one Sunday a month. The community wanted more, so a Sunday School developed, with Mays Memorial Methodist and
In 1942, Rev. Robert Bruce Layman was elected to be pastor. For the first time in the history of the church, services were held each Sunday. Under his leadership a building growth took place. New Sunday School rooms were constructed in 1951 and a new parsonage and garage in 1952. In 1959-1960 the old church was torn down for construction of a new sanctuary. Church services were conducted at the
During this time the church was growing in numbers as well as spiritually. There was 439 on roll and 310 in Sunday School attendance. THE church decided to withdraw from the Southern Baptist Convention and to become an
In 1964, the Sunday school was still growing, so a second floor to the Sunday School annex was built. This was great, but we also needed a social building. In 1966, the church voted to proceed with the construction of this building. The social building was built and finished from monies left to the church in the will Mr. and Mrs. R. B. St.Clair. grateful to this very generous couple. Pastor R. B. Layman retired in October 1968. /p Rev. Kenneth Peters joined the staff in 1969 as Senior Pastor. Under Pastor Peters ministry, missionary support grew from seven mission works with a total of $725 monthly support to thirty seven mission works for a total of $2,345 per month. Â Barnhardt also supported thirteen students going to
In October 1979, Pastor Terry Mabrey moved into the parsonage. Under his leadership Home Missions grew. The following programs were launched:
class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">
Â All of these ministries are still in place at Barnhardt. Many young people from Barnhardt went into full time work for the Lord during Pastor Mabrey time here. Pastor Mabrey resigned in January 1998 after 18 years of service.
Â Pastor Jerry Smith arrived at Barnhardt in June 1999 with his motorcycle and the love of Jesus in his heart. Â Everyone he would meet, he would introduce them to his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He had a ministry of caring for the children and the old alike. The church grew under his ministry, but Pastor Smith accepted the Lords call to return to the church if his childhood in
Â Our present pastor, Joseph K. Peters, Jr. is the son of an earlier pastor, Dr. Ken Peters. Pastor Joe accepted the call and came to Barnhardt on
Â If you want to know more history on Barnhardt and its pastors, contact the church by phone or e-mail and purchase for $5 the book âï¿½ï¿½